I met up with a colorectal surgeon yesterday – Dr Aileen Seah is one of the only two female colorectal surgeons in Singapore. No, I do not have colon cancer.
About Dr Aileen Seah
Dr Aillen Seah currently practises as a Consultant in the Division of Colorectal Surgery, Department of Surgery, NUH Singapore. She is also the Clinical Teacher at the Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore. She has completed one year of Colorectal Surgical Fellowship in the University of Minnesota, USA under the HMDP program.
I spoke with Aileen because she wanted to learn SEO to help promote the awareness of colorectal cancer – one of the most common cancer among men and women in Singapore.
Colon Cancer Treatment
From our conversation, I discovered that colon cancer is one of the most common form of cancer among men and women in Singapore. In general, the earlier colon cancer is detected, the easier it is to treat.
Colorectal surgery, in many cases is followed by chemotherapy, is effective colon cancer treatment.
Possible Signs of Colon Cancer
- A change in bowel habits.
- Blood (either bright red or very dark) in the stool.
- Diarrhea, constipation, or feeling that the bowel does not empty completely.
- Stools that are narrower than usual.
- Frequent gas pains, bloating, fullness, or cramps
- Weight loss for no known reason.
- Feeling very tired.