≡ Menu

iPhone 3GS Bluetooth Not Working

I was disappointed to find out that the iPhone bluetooth is Not working as expected. This is the first phone with bluetooth which I owned that is not connecting with my PC. I have used Nokia and Sony Ericsson bluetooth to connect my PC and backup my phones. With iPhone, the only way is to use the USB cable to connect to your PC.

The iPhone crippled bluetooth can use bluetooth earpiece or bluetooth headset.

iPhone does not support:

• Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)
  • Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
  • Basic Imaging Profile (BIP)
  • Basic Printing Profile (BPP)
  • Cordless Telephony Profile (CTP)
  • Device ID Profile (DID)
  • Dial-up Networking Profile (DUN)
  • Fax Profile (FAX)
  • File Transfer Profile (FTP)
  • General Audio/Video Distribution Profile (GAVDP)
  • Generic Access Profile (GAP)
  • Generic Object Exchange Profile (GOEP)
  • Human Interface Device Profile (HID)
  • Intercom Profile (ICP)
  • Object Push Profile (OPP)
  • Personal Area Networking Profile (PAN)
  • Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP)
  • Serial Port Profile (SPP)
  • Service Discovery Application Profile (SDAP)
  • SIM Access Profile (SAP,SIM)
  • Synchronisation Profile (synch)
  • Video Distribution Profile (vdp)
  • Wireless Application Protocol Bearer (WAPB)

Source: iPhone’s Bluetooth is dumb, purposely crippled or both?

iPhone 3GS Bluetooth with Windows Vista

As for the new iPhone 3GS, Windows Vista may the the culprit that prevent proper communication over bluetooth. My Vista kept asking to look for “Bluetooth Peripheral Device”?! Apparently, Vista does not have a driver to support iPhone 3GS bluetooth profiles.

iPhone 3GS Bluetooth profiles

If you manage to connect using bluetooth for Internet tethering, leave a comment below.

iPhone 3GS bluetooth internet tethering

[Update 18 Aug 2009] iPhone 3GS Bluetooth Internet Tethering
Managed to connect my MacBook Pro via bluetooth to iPhone internet tethering after performing latest software updates including the latest version of iTune 8.2.1 (6).

[Update 28 Jan 2010] Steve Jobs announced the Apple iPad yesterday. Will the iPad be another crippled device?

{ 84 comments… add one }
  • Mark 11 Jun 2010, 4:26 pm

I am an owner of a 3G S.

Never had any trouble tethering over bluetooth, and never had any trouble connecting it up to both my Parrot (installed in a VW Bora) nor the Nissan Qashqai’s on-board bluetooth system

I also (painlessly) paired it to both a Jabra and a Motorola bluetooth headset pieces

What’s all the fuss about?

When buying a phone check out all the options and do your homework. I knew from the outset I would have limited bluetooth file sharing (possible to other iPhone users via a small free app) and no Flash support. I accepted them as tradeoffs to owning the fastest and coolest mobile phone around.

It does what I ask of it (constant email push, msn and skype, and constant browsing) and I couldn’t be happier

cheers!

Mark

• Jason 7 Jun 2010, 10:23 am

I just watched two movies (one each night) on Netflix by teathering my iPhone 3G to my wife’s Sony Vaio laptop. Vista keeps asking to install a driver. Just ignore that and manage your internet connection manually.

• iPhoneHaterz 19 Apr 2010, 12:14 am

Brown , exactly my sentiments, word-for-word!!!

• ramon 3 Apr 2010, 4:30 pm

Hi Ali, IT WORKS, I have just bought a JABRA HALO headset and it works fine.
    Related to pairing via bluetooth with your PC have a look at this post.

It’s working for me, and I’m using the bluetooth connection now.

Hope it helps.

• ali bohassan 30 Mar 2010, 1:49 am

iPhone does not support bluetooth headset.

• moon 13 Mar 2010, 6:17 pm

iphone Bt really suck.. now i can’t transfer my file from my sony ericsson to iphone…. SUCK for Apple!

• caleb wynn 14 Feb 2010, 2:44 pm

here is some software to transfer all your iphone files (music,photo,ect) to your pc

link http://www.filetransit.com/view.php?id=77825

• caleb wynn 14 Feb 2010, 2:38 pm

It all depends on what kind of bluetooth your PC has and what version of windows you are running. I have a new sony vaio and it has stereo bluetooth so I can play a song on my Iphone 3GS and here the sound out of my vaio speakers via bluetooth. I am running windows 7 64 bit. The Iphone also connects via bluetooth to my mp3 deck in my car to play music from my Iphone and to talk hands free when I get a phone call. iPhone Support:

Hands-Free Profile (HFP)
    Headset Profile (HSP)

iPhone Does Not Support:

Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)
    Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP)
    Basic Imaging Profile (BIP)
    Basic Printing Profile (BPP)
    Cordless Telephony Profile (CTP)
    Device ID Profile (DID)
    Dial-up Networking Profile (DUN)
    Fax Profile (FAX)
    File Transfer Profile (FTP)
    General Audio/Video Distribution Profile (GAVDP)
    Generic Access Profile (GAP)
    Generic Object Exchange Profile (GOEP)
    Human Interface Device Profile (HID)
    Intercom Profile (ICP)
    Object Push Profile (OPP)
    Personal Area Networking Profile (PAN)
    Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP)
    Serial Port Profile (SPP)
    Service Discovery Application Profile (SDAP)
    SIM Access Profile (SAP,SIM)
    Synchronisation Profile (synch)
    Video Distribution Profile (vdp)
    Wireless Application Protocol Bearer (WAPB)

• Karmita 11 Feb 2010, 6:50 am

Someone mentioned there were apps available via cydia that give normal functionality to the bluetooth. Could someone give the names of these apps?
    And I must say that I agree with everyone, iPhone’s Bluetooth sucks

• Damon 6 Feb 2010, 5:44 am

BTW Larry your post was most helpful, thanks for that great advice. My BT still does not work with my PC

• Damon 6 Feb 2010, 5:41 am

I could connect my 3GS to my PC at one time but the BT adapter failed on my pc …replaced it and now I can not.

Something has changed somewhere. Either a windows update or iphone update is preventing it from seeing my pc.

My PC finds my iphone fine but asks for a driver. My iPhone is not seeing my PC.

• Larry 3 Feb 2010, 12:49 pm

Jebus, must have found the retard thread here…unless it’s just an American thing. lol
    BT on 3GS wll connect to PC & various devices. The bells n whistles will vary. Now hand in your thumbs & please exit the gene pool 🙂

• dana 31 Jan 2010, 3:47 pm

We cannot use bluetooth with iPhone 3GS. As for connecting to the PC or connecting to mobile

• Brown 26 Jan 2010, 2:30 pm

I’m really sick and tired of listening to sycophants espousing the attributes of an iPhone whose technology is ridiculously under developped. People use BT to send files wirelessly in EUROPE and ASIA. US well leaves much to be desired as they just discovered SMS. NO I do not wish to only have the choice of connecting to the internet only to have to share files with my computer. How ridiculously outdated is this notion? What happens you simpletons that point that out when there is no internet connection. Would you like to pay my 3G bill for sharing my file, if so, please leave me your details and I’ll be glad to send you the bill. So shut up and LISTEN to what people are asking. NO I did not buy an iPhone to play games. I am not a 20 year old with an IQ of a chair. I bought it like many others have pointed out on this blog for a replacement to my Nokia Eseries and NO this paperweight called an iPhone does not even compare to half the features that Nokia or Blackberry offers. In today’s day and age, all they had to do was take a Blackberry or Nokia Eseries phone and re-engineered it while adding some of the new features that iPhone has. But instead gave us nothing more than a playstation and touted it to be like a BlackBerry or iPhone. This is not the case for the MAC. Moreover, how silly are they that they ask us to go and buy a competitor’s office docs when they have a proper office doc on their MAC called iWorks? Who does this? It’ll be like Microsoft telling people to go and buy Office from a competitor to use on their phones. iPhone, for all those sycophants, if you remove your blinders, there are phones that are much much much better. Like Samsung or LG which have touch screens and all the myriad functions that iPhone espouses and have coupled it with the functions of Blackberry and Nokia. Had I known this at the time I would have bought either a Samsung or an LG but now I’m stuck with this papeweight, and I currently have gone back to using my Nokia. Moreover, having 5 pages of emoticons, accounts as only 1 APP not each is an app as they are all based on the same app “EMOTICONS”. So that to me is already misinformation as there are no 400,000 apps based on what I described above. Now having 200,000 mindless games does not constitute a proper app store nor would I want an app that tells me my BMI on my iPhone. I want a phone that works as a phone that I can access wirelessly with Bluetooth, that allows me to reply, forward or cancel an SMS WHILE THE PHONE IS IN A DORMANT STATE not simply tell me of the SMS as is the case. So YES as the person succinctly put it we are buying a phone circa 1999 in 2010 and that is the same as buying a Laptop with no USB because hey, to the moron “iphone Developer”, firewire is the technology of the future. So moron, what about the entire marketplace that’s still using USB are we supposed to play with our genitals until the technology catches up with us. Moreover, marketing 101 dictates that you should listen to the marketplace and they’re all asking for BT so who are you to argue otherwise and you call yourself an iPhone Developer. Let me guess you’re in your bloody twenties, mooching off your mother and father sitting bare naked in your flat in front of your computer and most likely have an IQ of a chair like everyone of your generation.

• nasir 20 Jan 2010, 11:46 pm

i thnk apple ahould bring some software so dat we can use bluetooth wid other devices of different companies or else i m goin to throw my i pone 3gs

• Captcunny 19 Jan 2010, 1:24 pm

You know, I just spent 1000 USD for a 3GS/32. It is so nice but…the limitations are well worth the attributes.
    My wife is beautiful….and only has one leg. ALL the other stuff works REALLY well….and I love her. I love my iphone too even though it only has one leg.

• Stephen Collins 17 Jan 2010, 1:48 pm

Sorry to all you guys and gals out there for your BT woes! I felt cheated when I bought mine, my local electronics store said yeh it has BT…it says so on the box! Well yes it does say so on the box? it does pair with a BT earpiece “great for taxi drivers!!?) so not a complete lie, but not exactly honest either is it?

Point of my story is this…I sold mine cos’ I was pissed off with lack of BT & SD and really hated iTunes with a passion!! 6 weeks later…….can’t find any other smartphone that even comes close to that beautiful screen, I’ve demo’d all of them HTC HD II, Storm II and all the others. Sad but true, gonna have to get another iPhone!!!!! funny eh, that damn screen and those apps are just too hard to beat…..right now, but I live in hope.

• Fidah 13 Jan 2010, 10:29 am

hi..
    i tried to bluetooth a song from Sony Ericsson to I-Phone but cannot. And I’ve already paired the devices. From I-phone it says connected to the Sony Ericsson device but bluetooth still fails. Any help? Thanks

• iPhone App Developer 6 Jan 2010, 10:29 am

Correction:

Line 7: “like being the first to sell a computer with Floppy Disk Drive in 1997.”

should be “like being the first to sell a computer WITHOUT Floppy Disk Drive in 1997.”

I am referring to the original iMac, I might add.

• iPhone App Developer 6 Jan 2010, 10:26 am

I have a good time laughing, obviously too many of you did not do any homework before jumping onto the iPhone wagon.

There are many functions Apple products come without, especially when compared to Windows side of things — not that it is bad, mind you, coz Apple almost always see far ahead and mercilessly remove technology that is going obsolete, like being the first to sell a computer with Floppy Disk Drive in 1997. Many cried murder back then, I took Apple’s words for it and never use a floppy disk since then, only to see those angry protesters slowly joining me.

Apple may or may not let us transfer files or sync with our PC via BT in the future, but for now, if you look carefully, there are, IMHO, better ways to get the job done.

Enjoy your iPhone!

• Edgar 6 Jan 2010, 6:57 am

I lost my iphone and even though I was really dependent on it, I was able to survive, now I don’t miss it. But I do want to get a 3gs, but have heard that the bluetooth feature still does not work. Is it worth it?

• gustavo Leon Madrigal 4 Jan 2010, 9:49 am

I am not sure, but, looks like apple doers not care…My Iphone 3gs is not connecting to anything…I am getting tired…

• Glenn 31 Dec 2009, 5:04 am

Is der nt an app u can get t send via Bluetooth n recurve tru Bluetooth the fella in the shop told me it does send and recurve so there fore I tink I am goin t bring it bak?!

• Hanniepie 15 Dec 2009, 9:38 pm

And, I tried to pair it with my Mac Book, its the same problem! Iphone to Iphone same problem, can’t transfer anything. Pairing doesn’t work! Iphone always into searching devices…….

I thought just my setting! But its really a known Iphone Bluetooth problem!

Apple co. should pay attention and do some fixes! SOOOOON!

• Hanniepie 15 Dec 2009, 9:33 pm

Me and my Husband bought Iphone 3Gs 32GB, and both bluetooth function can’t be used nor work! I’m so mad! I didnt have iphone before so I didnt know this bluetooth flaws! I used LG and samsung, it works wonderful in their bluetooth features. THis Iphone sucks if you consider using bluetooth other features are OK, i been using this a lot! and now I dont have choice but to use usb cable instead! not convenient, if you want to transfer or share files to your friends wirelessly!

• Dariel 15 Dec 2009, 7:32 pm

to add, we can’t even find each other when we are holding 2 iphones side by side….

• Dariel 15 Dec 2009, 7:31 pm

I bought the iphone 3gs 2 weeks ago and tried using the bluetooth. Somehow it doesn’t seem to be able to find any device at all. Can someone please advise how can I make it work? My friend who has the phone also can’t seem to get the bluetooth working

• rocke 12 Nov 2009, 5:40 pm

It was really disappointing and embarrassing when I wasnt able to transfer songs/photos from/to my friends having much cheaper phones while they could do it like in fraction of a second.

I hate Apple and their policies !!!

• Andy 8 Nov 2009, 6:25 am

I only have an Iphone 3G and you can’t bluetooth from iphone to anyother phone. The only way I did it when I upgraded from Nokia N95 to Iphone was to back up contacts onto pc via outlook then sync your iphone to PC via USB and it will sync the contacts to your iphone and then it will auto sync when changes are made. I am very disappointed in Apple and the only way you can get round it is to jail break it through software which is available on the internet as far as I know.

• Cat 7 Nov 2009, 5:36 am

I want to transfer my photos and contact list from my Palm Treo Pro to my iPhone via Bluetooth. As I am now reading here, it’s probably impossible. Am I right?

• Bilal 4 Nov 2009, 12:52 pm

I recently bought iPhone 3gs and I am pretty much disappointed by the fact that Apple has not been fair to its customers in terms of providing this basic technology that is even available in the cheapest mobile these days.

The bluetooth on my iPhone does not even find other iPhones in the range… what a piece of crap.. I would have thrown it away if I never got in love with the UI of this phone.

• 3gsboy 21 Oct 2009, 11:42 am

i totally agree to all of you guys here….my iphone 3gs can connect with our cars even with BT Audio….no hassle but…when pairing to our windows vista pcs….it coudn’t even be detected …..very disappointing!!!

• What3GS 11 Oct 2009, 10:46 am

Anyone have problem sysn the 3gs with the gps with Bluetooth ? I am able the sysn my 3g but not the 3gs at all. The 3gs cannot find my gps bluetooth. Anyone can help?

Thanks

• sagar 3 Oct 2009, 11:40 pm

no other devices are found on iphone except iphone..

• sagar 3 Oct 2009, 11:39 pm

we can connect only by iphone to iphone..in 3GS…

• booket 27 Sep 2009, 10:31 pm

iphone bluetooth is a joke it is locked and will never be able to connect to other models other than iphone, you need cydia to jail break and a bluetooth application to use bluetooth as normal person, apple are a joke.

• Hitsugaya 20 Sep 2009, 2:22 am

Is it possible for the iPhone to connect to other phone devices to send files?

• Big Dog Knew 16 Sep 2009, 5:25 am

Does anyone have any advice for when the iPhone doesn’t appear in the PAN device list? using the 3G S

• sam 12 Sep 2009, 11:42 am

Iphone’s internet tethering thru bluetooth works flawlessly!!!
    Just need to know how to configure it, below are the steps.
    Just follow and enjoy the iphone bluettooth service

I just bought an iphone 3gs and the bluetooth tethering option works magnificently, below are the steps for Windows Vista:

1) Make sure you computers wireless/bluetooth button is on by turning it on, when you turn on message will popup on right bottom of screen saying wireless/bluetooth on.

2) On the Iphone, go to settings->general->network->internet teethering and tap on button, it will show you 2 options, bluetooth or USB, tap bluee tooth.

3) On the Iphone , go to settings->general->bluetooth and tap on to turn it on, it it will say bluetooth on and now discoveratble.

4) On Windows Vista, right click network icon on right bottom tray and choose network and sharing center, it will open window, choose manage network connections. It will shown you bluetooth network devices in the bottom, right click that and choose view bluetooth devices, there click add to Add iphone as a bluee tooth device.

Now enjoy your Iphone internet service through blue tooth.

• icekodiak 9 Sep 2009, 7:36 am

I have successfully connected the iphone 3gs to my Dell XPS Laptop and have used the internet tethering via the bluetooth connection but still can’t get the PC to sync the phone due to the missing drivers.

• NIck 3 Aug 2009, 12:54 am

I am so sick of companies playing these types of games with us! $300 for an “advanced” phone that does not utilize legacy technologies found in phones much, much, cheaper! WTF is going on out there. And are we all just idiots for taking this!

• Dicko 29 Jul 2009, 8:21 pm

My Bluetooth handsfree works great in the car. But Definitely cannot connect with the Vista PC. Real bugger as I don’t like carrying extra cables to keep everything in synch.

• Nhover 29 Jul 2009, 11:25 am

my name is nhover o buy iphone 3gs but i cant see the blue tooth icon in my fone… where can i see it ????

• wassup 28 Jul 2009, 4:06 pm

Should be but haven’t tried. None of my friends want to use BT to transfer files from phone to phone

• Cyj 28 Jul 2009, 4:00 pm

but cn still transfer files(songs/pictures) from friends or to friends etc. right??

• wassup 20 Jul 2009, 10:03 pm

You can use bluetooth earpiece with iPhone 3GS. As for connecting to the PC, probably need to wait for Windows driver updates.

• Akid Lee 20 Jul 2009, 6:28 pm

Hi, Does it mean there’s no way we can use bluetooth on iPhone 3Gs?

• Kynne 16 Jul 2009, 12:34 am

It does not even work with my Macbook Pro.